Bike More Challenge Awards Party
Celebrate your miles with us and see which team outrode the competition at our Bike More Challenge Awards Party. We’ll have pizza, beer and door prizes to celebrate your commitment to commuting!
This is a special time of year when we recognize the contributions of all our amazing volunteers and advocates who help further The Street Trust’s mission of advocating for healthy and thriving communities where it is safe and easy for people to bike, walk and ride public transit. Our Member Meeting is a great opportunity to mingle with other members and volunteers and learn more about the latest projects The Street Trust is working on.
Alice Awards & Auction
The annual Alice Awards & Auction has moved from May to September! This is our biggest party of the year, and this year we’re celebrating our expanded mission as well as the people who have made our region one of the best places to bike, walk and use transit. Alice Awards will be presented in the following categories at the event:
- Complete Streets / Healthy Communities Champion: We advocate for healthy and thriving communities where it is safe and easy for people to bike, walk and ride public transit. This award celebrates the person (or group of people) who has embraced this mission and has been a strong community leader in advocating for complete, healthy streets and neighborhoods.
- The Kid at Heart: Along with the For Every Kid Coalition, we were successful in winning $3.5 million for Safe Routes to School. This award honors the champion (or group of champions) who helped the Coalition build and win this important victory or simply stands out as a great advocate for Safe Routes to School.
- Intersection Hero: Our new mission brings together three important elements of a healthy neighborhood, often intersecting on the street in safe and vibrant ways. This award honors an individual (or group of people) who serves as the movement’s “intersection”, a connector who brings people together from different backgrounds and experiences toward a similar goal.
- Emerging Leader: Given to a young adult under 25 who shows the inspiration young people can have in our communities.
- Bud Clark: Given to a community member who has sustained long-term support for The Street Trust’s work.
Bike Raffle Party
Throughout the month of September The Street Trust sells raffle tickets to win a brand new bike, worth over $7000. We will draw the winning ticket at the party. You must be an Oregon resident to participate, but you do not need to be present to win. However, all are welcome to party with us and have the chance to win a one of several door prizes!
Raffle tickets go on sale September 1st.
Bike More Challenge
In 2016 we gave the Challenge a new name and moved it to May! We challenge everyone across Oregon to get out of their cars and on their bikes to see who can #bikemore. We run a month-long friendly competition between teams to see who can get the greatest percentage of teammates to log the most miles on their bike. At the end we tally the results, give out awards in different categories, and celebrate everyone’s hard work and commitment for that month.
In early June, The Street Trust announces the winning teams in each category at a big After Party.
For more info, please click here.
Walk + Bike Challenge
The national percentage of kids biking or walking to school has declined since the 1970s, but in Portland, that number has risen from 28% in 2006 to 42% in 2012. The Walk + Bike Challenge is a friendly competition aimed at encouraging families to walk and bike.
During the Challenge, school coordinators track the number of students biking, walking, and skating to school throughout the month. At the end of the Challenge, prizes go to the schools that log the most biking trips, the most walking trips, the largest total number of students walking and biking, and the highest percentage of students walking and biking. The Street Trust will also hold weekly drawings for schools to win gift certificates and even more great prizes.
The Challenge is hosted by The Street Trust with support from the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) and the City of Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT), among others.
International Walk+Bike to School Day is a free event held on the first Wednesday of October each year.
For more info on Walk+Bike, please click here.
Sign up for the Safe Routes to School Network to receive updates on all things Safe Routes to School and Walk+Bike.
If you are interested in using a bicycle as a means of getting around, these clinics are designed to answer any questions you might have. Their goal is to boost individuals’ confidence, safety, and enjoyment in bike commuting by addressing legal and practical questions. Commute Clinics are usually held at workplaces and can be scheduled by submitting a clinic request.
For more info, please click here.
Rules of the Road Clinics
For over a decade, bicycle lawyer Ray Thomas has been sharing his wisdom with cyclists around the state in this 60-minute workshop on bicyclists’ rights and responsibilities on the road. Legal clinics cover Oregon bicycle and pedestrian laws, insurance information, and what to do if you’re in a crash. Attendees will also receive a free copy of Thomas’ book, Pedal Power: a Legal Guide for Oregon Cyclists.
2017 Clinic Schedule:
- Tuesday, January 10th, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m., The Street Trust, 618 NW Gllisan, #401, Portland
- Tuesday, March 14th, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m., The Street Trust, 618 NW Glisan, #401, Portland
- Wednesday, April 12th, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m., REI (Tigard), 7410 SW Bridgeport, Tigard
- Tuesday, May 9th, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m., The Street Trust, 618 NW Glisan, #401, Portland
- Tuesday, July 11th, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m., The Street Trust, 618 NW Glisan, #401, Portland
- Tuesday, September 12th, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m., The Street Trust, 618 NW Glisan, #401, Portland
- Wednesday, October 11th, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m., REI (Hillsboro), 2235 NW Allie, Hillsboro
- Tuesday, November 14th, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m., The Street Trust, 618 NW Glisan, #401, Portland
Live the Revolution
For the past 5 years The Street Trust has partnered with Sugar Wheel Works to put on a live bike-themed story telling event, to benefit our Safe Routes to School youth bike education programs and inspire the next generation to ride. Every year we have great stories from Portland bike personalities! Stay up to date here.
Oregon Active Transportation Summit
The Oregon Active Transportation Summit (OATS) is an annual conference for Oregon active transportation activists, community members, and anyone who wants to get involved in advocacy at the state level. The summit includes workshops, trainings, and a lobby day when legislature is in session.
The 2016 Summit included sessions on planning and engineering tools, equity and social justice, public health and safety, recreation and economic development, design innovations, and emerging research.
For more info, please click here.
Women Bike Events
Women Bike is The Street Trust’s program to inspire more women to incorporate a bike in their lives and utilize biking to meet their personal health, fitness, and transportation needs. In the Portland Metro region women account for only a third of bike riders. We’re here to change that.
Women Bike is open to all women, female identifying, and gender nonconforming people who enjoy biking (or think they might). We aim to decrease the barriers to riding a bike through weekly coffee meetups, monthly rides and workshops, and mentorship. Check out the calendar above for dates and locations.
The Street Trust Commuter Stations offer commuters and other bicyclists a convenient way to learn more about the work of The Street Trust and to join us in ensuring Oregon is the best place to ride a bike in the nation.
Throughout the year, we set up pop-up stations where we can talk to bicyclists about issues most important to them in the places they ride. At each station we will offer resources including bike maps, information on our current advocacy campaigns, information regarding Oregon rules of the road, and more. At select Commuter Stations, you can also take advantage of complimentary bicycle service provided by our bike shop partners at each location and enjoy some free snacks from our sponsors.
Check out the calendar above for commuter station dates and locations.