Every bike deserves some tender loving care to keep it in shape and enjoy a smooth ride. During the cold, rainy months it is especially important to keep your bike in top shape; a well-loved bike can take you on your biggest, best adventures. Following are a few tips, so you can enjoy that smooth ride—you know the one where you feel you have conquered the world in one single ride.
On a weekly basis—especially during the winter, it is important to inspect and clean your bike. When you inspect your bike, check the ABC’s:
- “A” is for air: Before you embark on the next adventure, check your tire pressure and inflate per the recommended PSI printed on the tire (don’t get stranded in the middle of your adventure, because that would be sad).
- “B” is for brakes: Test your brakes before the adventure. It’s important and a great safety check to test your brakes—both front and rear. Do a visual inspection to ensure the brakes work and have plenty of rubber left on the pads.
- “C” is for chains: Checking your chain is as equally important as checking your brakes and tires. Keep chains clean and lubricated every couple of weeks—especially in the winter. Using the right chain lube is important; use chain-specific lube, not WD-40. Confused by all the options? Check with you local bike shop!
Riding in the rain can be adventurous AND pleasant, but muddy and gravel-lined streets are a fact this time of year. Cleaning your bike should be fun task and not a chore. Use rags and proper cleaning equipment, such as soap, water and bike degreaser. On a long-term basis, your bike deserves professional maintenance. Take your bike to the local bike shop; it’s convenient and you support local businesses.
In honor of Valentine’s Day, please love and take care of your bike. The more love you put into your bike, the more your bike will love you back!
Become a Roll Model!
Do you love biking? Are there women in your community of friends, coworkers, and neighbors interested in biking? Become a Street Trust Roll Model, and help spread your love of biking to your community! We are looking for women who enjoy biking to be a part of this year’s Women Bike Roll Model Program.
Get Connected! Sign up for our Women Bike E-Newsletter, and stay up to date on all Women Bike events and happenings.
Join us at an upcoming social event:
Monthly Coffee Club: February 15, 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Palio, 1996 SE Ladd Ave., Portland
Monthly Happy Hour: February 23, 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- 10 Barrel Brewing, 1411 NW Flanders St., Portland